We've all heard the phrase "live in the moment." This may seem a simple idea for some, but for me it has always been a challenge. I don't know why but I seem to always be in my head. I think, analyze, day dream, zone out, and reflect more than I should. It is a good thing that I am analytical and that I think things over, but too much is too much. I feel like I miss out on my husband, friends, family and most of all my kids because of this habit. When I look back on my life I feel like I've always been this way. I used to absorb myself in books.
Now I find myself in the car thinking about whatever it is instead of asking my girls how their day has been, or singing along to their cute children's cd's that I know by heart. I catch myself often day dreaming and then trying to refocus and engage with them. It's frustrating to me and to them when I hear Lola or Isabelle for the third time saying, "Mooooom, why aren't you listening?" This is a BAD sign. I think, sometimes I am, in my mind, either rehashing the past or trying to somehow mold my future. I know that in small doses this is a healthy activity, but I really believe I am not living in the moment enough. So, with all of this said I am going to challenge myself to be more present. Listen more, laugh more, ask more, enjoy more, love more, hug more. I know that I am a good wife, mother, daughter, sister and friend. I also know that I can be better and be happier. This is my challenge. One step at a time.
1 comment:
Oh, Annie I'll bet you're doing better then you think you are. I'm right there with you though! Good Luck!
Post a Comment