Tuesday, January 5, 2010

food follies


I love to cook.
Ever since I started working full time I haven't had as much time to cook as I would like.
I love to make things from scratch, but lately I find myself at the grocery store looking for easy fix meals, which makes me cringe inside a little.

I like to be aware of what I'm eating, and I feel like processed, easy foods are a crap shoot. You never really know what's in them, and if you did know you probably wouldn't eat it. Mostly sodium, sugar and hydrogenated oils. Yum.

See, I grew up eating very healthy. Whole foods mostly.
No chocolate...carob.
No Lucky Charms...Grape Nuts.
No soda...carrot juice.
You get the idea.
If you have a mom like I do you will know what Ezekiel bread is and that it tastes like cardboard.

As a kid, I hated this diet. I wanted to be like every other kid in this country and eat normal food (like Doritos for crying out loud!). But now as an adult I have a deep appreciation for this kind of eating. It is not an easy way to eat. It takes time and work. You have to rummage through all the junk and spend more money on healthy, organic food. I do OK now but wish I did better.

It baffles me that our country is set up to eat so badly but more baffling still is the fact that I go along with it.

3 comments:

singingcindy said...

Annie, you and your mom are so smart. I was never taught to eat that well. Eric is teaching me a lot about that right now and I'm loving it. It is so much better to read what you eat and make wise choices. I am now eliminating sugar, aspartame (and all artificial sweetners), hydrogenated oils, MSG, and trying to stay away from all preservatives. That's probably why cancer is growing so fast in our country. All the culprits are in our food supply! You have done well. I hope you can keep the faith! haha and not cave in. Love you. Cindy

Life Is Beautiful! said...

Good job Annie, keep it up! Kamla.

Life Is Beautiful! said...

Good job Annie! Keep it up. Kamla.