
When Kyle and I got married we received lots of wonderful gifts. Truly. Our friends and family were so generous. But the one gift I was overjoyed to get was a white porcelain butter dish. You see, I had never owned a butter dish before. I don't know why. It's not an expensive thing to buy. I just never spent the $12.99 to purchase one. I think the reason I was so excited to get this butter dish is because of nostalgia. When I was a little girl, I remember my grandmother making me toast with butter and oatmeal for breakfast when we would visit. I remember her Pyrex butter dish sitting on the counter, and loving her so much for making feel so special. So when we got the butter dish I was excited. My first butter dish.
Fast forward about a month later.
I broke the beloved butter dish. I was unloading the dishwasher and the sucker just fell out of my hand and shattered all over the floor. I was heartbroken. Over a butter dish. My husband, being as sweet and sensitive and kind as he is surprised me one day a few weeks later. He brought home 3 different butter dishes. I was so excited. 2 of them were Pyrex butter dishes jsut like my grandma's. Well, in the last 8 months I have broken 2 of the dishes. Today is a sad day. Today I broke the final dish.
I was putting the butter away in the refrigerator in the butter tray (you know, the one in the door), and it slipped out of my hands and shattered all over the floor. I got a few cuts even. I am so sad about the butter dishes I've lost. I don't know why my butter dishes keep breaking. I haven't broken any other dishes since I've been married-only the butter ones. 4 butter dishes in 9 months. I don't know if I'm going to buy another butter dish, either. It will probably just break. I guess I'll just use the butter out of the paper it comes in.
(Disclaimer: I don't really believe in curses.)
7 comments:
Go for the tubs of butter--a lot less drama! Hee Hee! Good to hear Kyle is a sensitive Butter Dish dishing out kind of guy! Then there's always the possibility of a nice soft carpet next to the fridge--to forever be dirty, but possibly prevent butter dish episodes! Ya never know...
How eery! Maybe you should just throw a plate down on the ground and break it. Perhaps that's how you break the curse of the butter dish. Good luck!
Guess you better buy a PLASTIC butter dish. That's so WIERD!
I think someone needs to find a PLASTIC butter dish! Do they even make them in plastic? If so, it sounds like that's the one for you!
I say go with plastic too. You and the ceramic butter dish are destined to fail.
um, have you considered plastic dishes all together? didn't you drop a jar of salsa too? HHHmmmm, just a thought, :)
That is funny... I broke my butter dish too! There is something very slippery about them!! :) I got a new butter dish that stays on the counter and you put water in it. i will show you sometime it is really cool!
Post a Comment