Saturday, September 25, 2010

Making lemonade out of lemons


De-cluttering is one of my favorite things to do. And now that I'm pregnant? Whoa. Watch out. I might just get rid of the dinner plate you are currently eating on. I guess they call it nesting. Whoever "they" are. Some days I feel like I want to throw out everything in my house and keep just the essentials. You know, like toilet paper. So, today I had a yard sale. It actually turned out well, and I was able to get rid of a bunch of stuff (and make a little dough, which is always a bonus).

But I've been thinking a lot about this purging mentality today. And if I'm being honest with myself I know that I need to get rid of a lot more than just our stuff. Like my negative attitude maybe? But it doesn't seem as easy to get rid of things like this. People say being positive is a choice, and I believe them (there's those famous "them" again). But for some reason, some days, no matter how hard I try, I seem incapable of making this choice. So I keep reminding myself that tomorrow is a new day, and I will do my darnedest to choose again. 

My mom always said I was strong willed. Maybe I'll prove her right.

2 comments:

BrieAnn said...

I can't believe I missed your garage sale! I got home from Tulsa late last night, and Cora woke up sick this morning (when I wrote 'late last night,' I started singing Big Yellow Taxi in my head - I listened to it a few times on my solo to and from Tulsa drive).

Lately, I've been thinking about very similar things to what you wrote in the latter half of your post, though my big struggle seems to be settling for mediocrity - a type of heavy lethargy I just can't seem to shake - "But for some reason, some days, no matter how hard I try, I seem incapable of [doing something meaningful]. So I keep reminding myself that tomorrow is a new day, and I will do my darnedest to [try] again." I want my life to be more meaningful to me, but I can never quite figure 'it' out. Maybe some foreign negative attitude or perception is standing in my way as well.

PS: Thanks for taking the baby bump picture, Isabelle. It's really cute!

Regs said...

I think we should work on this together... I sometimes I have to take it a minute at a time because a whole day seems far too daunting. You're beautiful, my lovely sister. I am so grateful to be related to you.