Monday, April 12, 2010

a bit of drama


I have no idea what I'm doing.

Isabelle is in her bed crying right now and yelling out, "Mom, you don't care about me. You just don't care about me."

She is so dramatic. I wonder where she gets it?  hrmmm?

She is throwing a fit because she doesn't get water to drink for bed. See, she has gotten out of bed several times. That's our deal. If you stay in bed and be quiet you get a nice cold drink of water by your bedside. But, oh boy, tonight Isabelle has not kept her side of the bargain. Hence, the fit.

I'm at a loss. I feel completely inept. Discipline is not my forte.

Her words, "You don't care about me" cut me to the core.

Of course I care. I love you, Belle. But I have to set boundaries. It's for your own good. One day you'll thank me. (Did I just say, "One day you'll thank me?")

 But you will. I think; I hope.

Does every parent feel this way? Or is it just me? Consistency is tough. Sticking to your guns-that is a skill I'm trying to get better at.

But really all I want to do is sit on her bed, hold her and rock her to sleep.

Instead I'm working on something that I'm not naturally good at-being firm with my children.

One day she'll thank me. Right?

4 comments:

Erin said...

She will thank you. You do care about her. It seems like those we love the most are the ones we know how to hurt the most...without even putting much thought into it. She won't remember tonight, but she will remember the decipline she had as a child and it will serve her as an adult. You are a wonderful, caring mother. 8

Tori Orgill said...

you know annie...i wonder the same thing everyday. my children are spoiled rotten and i know it's because of me!! it is so hard to hear them cry or to not understand and think we don't care! but i do know that boundaries are super important so as moms we do the very best we can and just keep trying! i love you. izzy loves you. you're awesome!

Nikki said...

Of course!
Oh how I hear you about feeling like your kids will hate you forever. But isn't it amazing how they forget our faults and love us endlessly? That's the best.

Kristy said...

You're nice to want to hold your kids when they are throwing a fit. I just want to ignore them and lock them in a room. :)