Wednesday, July 20, 2011

to tell the truth


Today is one of those days when I feel completely ill-equipped as a mother.

How do you teach your child to be intrinsically honest?

Beats me.

We've prayed, punished, pleaded, explained, questioned, reasoned. But nothing is working. Nothing. Integrity. That is a word we've used. Honor. Trustworthy. How do you teach these principles so that
they actually stick and change behavior?

No clue.

I just hope we can figure it out before she's a teenager cause then we'll really be in trouble. 

By the way...this is not a rhetorical question. I'm really asking.

3 comments:

Regs said...

I wish I had insight or answers for you. I'm grateful, though, that someday you'll have the answers for me. Love you!

Tori Orgill said...

we talked to ellen until we were blue in the face...it wasn't until we ignored the lies and praised the honesty that we really noticed a change. and i started using phrases like, "the sky is yellow" she would correct me and say, "no it's blue". then i would praise her for the truth. i know it sounds silly but it has really worked well.

spideybrian said...

Yes, I was going to say the same!! That once you learn, you can teach me!!!

All I can think is that Elder Bednar said the little strokes of the painting are what create the overall beauty in the picture...so, primary answers? Read, pray, fhe...I don't know, it's so hard!! But you are amazing and doing a wonderful job! LOVE my nieces!!!